Tải bản đầy đủ - 14trang
II. SOME TASKS OF THE STUDY ................3
I. REASON OF CHOOSING THE THEME
As we all know, the goal of teaching English is to form and
develop students’ knowledge of basic skills in English and
intellectual qualities for further education orfor their future life.
Learning English in secondary school based on the tendency to
communicate and promote the active learning method for
All four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing are
concerned and are coordinated in tasks of activities in the
classroom. Of the four skills, speaking skill , in my opinion ,is
the most important. The first goal of any English learners is
able to talk or communicate with native speakers. However, for
high school students, speaking or communicating in English is
very limited. In my opinion, these restrictions are caused by
both objective and subjective reasons. The first reason is due to
their fear of undergraduate students in pronunciation, grammar,
sentence structures so they do not dare to say. The second is
that the curriculumn has some difficult topics for students
especially students who are bad at English, for example:
conquering the universe, women's rights .. with relatively large
amount of new words.
With this theme, I hope
that students can get more
opportunities to communicate, be encouraged to speak English
more. Students can be more active, while acquiring and getting
knowledge of the lessons.
II. SOME TASKS OF THE STUDY:
When researching this topic, I need to perform the following
1. Study some documents about teaching and learning to speak
English effectively, the techniques of teaching speaking skill to
apply to each specific lecture.
2. Teaching sample lessons.
3. Attending lessons of colleagues, learning from experiences.
4. Examining and evaluating the results of the students' study,
so that we can find out reasonable adjustments.
III. SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The theme revolves around issues of teaching research and
learning to improve the quality of English lessons of teachers
and high school students in grades 10, 11, 12. But typical
research subjects that I have applied this theme are students in
class 10A1, 10A3, 10A8 of Dong Son 1 High School.
IV. PURPOSES OF THE STUDY
With the successful research of this topic, it will help
teachers get the following experiences :
1. Reading, listening, writing lesons become more effective by
combining speaking skills.
2. Encourage students to practise speaking skills in class.
V. METHOD OF THE STUDY:
1. When doing the research on this theme, I attend classes of
colleagues to find out how to teach effectively.
2. After I attend lessons of my colleagues and my colleagues
attend my lessons, we conduct exchange and discussion, from
which we can get experiences by integrating communication
skills into reading, listening and writing lessons.
3. Teachers canconduct test in some specific lessons.
4. Teachers may ask questions to check and evaluate lessson
understanding of the students.
B. CONTENT OF THE STUDY
1. Purpose of combination of teaching communication
skills when teaching reading, listening and writing skills.
- The purpose of foreign language teaching is not only to
provide students with the knowledge of the language, but the
ultimate goal of foreign language teaching is to teach students
the ability to communicate in English.
Communication capabilities of students are demonstrated by
Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing skills. Speaking skill
(communication) of students is formed through a process of
learning environment in English. In addition to learning at
school, students have to learn and train through many forms
and different methods.
- Speaking skill is ability to use language knowledge for the
purposes of communicating in English in specific social
2. The basic elements directly affect the effectiveness of
- With the new teaching methods, teachers play anactive role in
directing, controlling students during lessons.
- To conduct an effective lesson, teachers need to implement
the following basic elements:
- Teachers must prepare their lessons meticulously, select and
use techniques of teaching speaking skills flexibly which suit
the content of each unit.
- Lessons must be inspiring, charismatic and attractive to
- The exploitation of communication skills in the lessons must
suit abilities of students. Teachers need to study the lesson
contents carefully to design, construct and create suitable
situations where students can communicate effectively.
b. The equipment items:
The equipment items such as pictures, videos, clips support
actively for the teaching of foreign languages in general and
English in particular, and are regarded as a means of expressing
the content of the texbook. In addition, teaching equipment is
also active means in teaching method innovation which
motivate students in learning.
In the relationship between teaching and learning, teachers
are the organizers, students have to obtain their knowledge
under the control of the teachers.
COMMUNICATIVE ORIENTATION IN DONG SON 1 HIGH
Athough these objective and subjective conditions affect
directly the teaching process such as facilities are limited,
do not fully understand the importance of foreign
languages in general or English in particular. However, we have
tried to overcome the difficulties, gradually improve the quality
of english teaching with innovation trends.
- Gradually incorporate communication
listening and writinglessons.
- Be more active in organizing lessons, creating opportunities
for students to practise speaking English.
- At first students almost exclusively focused on grammar
learning. When they have been equipped with knowledge of
vocabulary and grammar, they still find it very difficult to
express simple problems in English. Many of them answered: I
can’t speak English because I have nothing to say and I don’t
know how to say. In my opinion the cause of this is due to the
knowledge that students are learning is not applied
immediately and flexibly in everyday communication situations.
- By the time I applied this method, students were initially
accustomed to express their views or their ideas in English with
a low level and the simple theme.
- Many students have been bolder in speaking English, they
have an incentive to be said and want to communicate.
- The lectures become more active, more exciting and attract
the attention and interest of students in learning.
- Some students have formed better communication skills, have
faster reflexes before a communication situation.
- Their ability to apply learned knowledge in a flexible way to
communicate in English is limited.
- The students have fewer opportunities to communicate, less
access to mass media by which their speaking and listening
skills can be improved.
- Some children are afraid to speak English, and to make
b. Teaching aids
- Teaching aids are few: pictures, radio ...
- They are in not good conditions.
c. Specific investigation
- In the process of teaching, I myself assumed grade 10. I
conducted research the students’ abilities in English learning
and get exprience from lessons taught by me. Right from the
beginning of the school year I've oriented myself a plan and
specific methods to actively investigate the situation of the
students' learning to teach. Through the survey results as they
started a new school year in grade 10, I have noticed that most
of them are not good at vocabulary and grammar knowledge.
Especially, their communication skills in English are quite bad.
The survey results are as followings:
20 47.6 16 38.1
9.1 23 52.3 17 38.6
2.2 18 39.1 27 58.7
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF COMMUNICATION SKILLS
IN SOME EFFECTIVE LESSONS.
1. Planning for a lesson:
a. For teachers:
For an effective lesson, the teacher should perform the
- Delving into the lesson contents from textbooks and teachers’
books is an important basis for teachers to plan their lessons.
Careful study of textbooks, teachers’ books helps teachers to
organize, control lessons with the right focus, create suitable
- Study the purpose of the lesson requirements: The purpose
and requirements of lessons are the target that both teachers
and students need to reach at the end of each lesson. Teachers
can create communication situations in a flexible manner
between the teacher and students in the process of teaching
reading or listening to test lesson comprehension levels of
- Communication situation is usually brought into the WARM UP
and Conclusion sections of each lesson.
- At WARM UP stage, students should be introduced by teachers
the topics that they will learn. In this section, students are
based on the theme under the guidance of the teachers to
answer the teacher's questions, or simply give opinions of their
own or their judgment on the matter which will be referred to in
reading, listening and writing lessons. Students can use
vocabularies and simple structures learned to speak.
- At conclusion stage teachers ask students to adhere to the
content, use structures and vocabulary of learning part to
retell the content of the lesson , teachers can create situations
for students in the form of a conversation or an interview. The
purpose of this section is to help students consolidate their
knowledge and apply
that knowledge for communication
purposes, to help students understand and remember their
lessons better in the classroom. Knowledge they’ve just learned
not only the mere knowledge. The important thing is that this
knowledge is immediately applied flexibly in specific social
situations of life.
The teacher asks students to prepare carefully for the next
- Providing with a system of provoking questions about all
they're going to be learning so that students have time to think
and prepare well for the lesson.
- To encourage and motivate students’ self-confidence,
initiative, creativity to outline the issues, make questions
related to the lesson.
2. The process of reading, listening and writing lessons
combining communication skills.
THE STORY OF MY VILLAGE
Part A: Reading
a. Warm- up :
This stage helps studentsorient and think about the subject
or situation before students conduct reading lessons.
Teachers ask students to talk about the village or where
they are living in the last few years and the changes compared
to the present. Teachers can call a pretty student to talk first
and then call any other students.
For example: In the past, my village was very poor. People
had to work very hard all day in the field but could not earn
enough money to pay for their life and for their children’ study.
They had to live in bad condition ... But now their life has
changed a lot. Many families have motorbikes, TV ...
- Teachers can create communication situations by using the
direct conversation between the teacher and a student or ask
two students to make a dialogue with each other.
T: - Where do you live?
S: - I live in a small town.
T: - Can you tell me about some changes of your town? How did
people work and live in the past? How do they live now?
S: - In the past they had to work very hard but their life was
poor. Now their life has become better ...
- In this stage students should be strengthened knowledge of
vocabulary and grammatical structures learned in reading
lesson. Teachers encourage students to use as more vocabulary
and grammar structures in their lesson as possible, such as:
make ends meet, in need of many things, better one's life ...
- Teachers may require students to work in groups to save time.
Group 1 tells about the villagers’ life in the past. Group 2
discusses the changes of the village in the current time.
- If students have more time they can make dialogues about the
lives of villagers in the past and at the present.
This part mentionsthe forest protection topic, causes and
effects of forest fires. Teachers can ask questions and students
a. Warm up
- Have you ever seen a forest fire?
- Yes, I have. / I saw it on TV.
- What can cause a forest fire?
- It can be caused by people 'carelessness or by nature itself
such as lightening ...
In this section the teacher gives some hints to students so
that they can speak English based on the lesson content.
- How can forest fires be started ?
- What season is the season when forest fires can happen easily
in the year?
- what consequences can forest fires cause?
- How do forest fires affect on the living environment of human,
animal and plant species?
- What can we do to reduce and prevent forest fires?
- Forest fires can be started from a campfire or from pieces of
cigarette butts ...
- The dry season is the season when forest fires are easy to
- Forest fires cause environmental pollution, air pollution, floods
- Human life is affected by environmental pollution, air pollution,
floods, erosion. Animal and plant species may lose their habitat,
and die in a series.
- We need to be careful when going into forests, educate
people’ awareness of forest protection, and the importance of
forests in our lives.
Part C: Writing
• Write a letter of acceptance or refusal
Based on the specific content of the lesson, after students
finish Task 1 and Task 2.
- Teachers rely on the common way of the invitation acceptance
or refusal introduced in the textbook to create communication
situations. Teachers ask students to make dialogues in pairs.
* What can you say?
1. Your friend invite you to go to see an interesting play . You
can not go with him.
2. You are invited to a dinner by a friend. You agree to come.
3. A friend invites you to visit Cuc Phuong National Park. You
accept his invitation.
- After the mentioned practice, students start Task 3. These
materials help students to do their writing easily.
IV. THE RESULT AFTER THE THEME APPLICATION
After applying this experience I myself have achieved some
positive results. First students are more interested in learning.
They are more active in speaking English. Especially, they can
expand vocabulary, reinforce their grammatical knowledge.
They are also very flexible in getting knowledge and they have
more opportunities to develop their communication skills. With
cheerful and exciting atmosphere, students have opportunities
to express and assert themselves, no longer embarrass when
speaking English. These are the relatively positive results of the
final examination of the last school year:
After applying the themeI have achieved significant results
and valuable experiences for myself as the followings:
- Teachers must always create a language environment in class
and use English as the primary language to communicate.
Depending on the grade level and the abilities of students,
teachers can use brief and simple English words and grammar
structures to help them understand, remember the lesons
- Teachers should encourage students to use English in
communicating with their knowledge.
- Teachers should not be paying attention to the fault of the
students while speaking. Let students hear and speak naturally.
Never force the students to stop talking while these students
are trying to express their thoughts in English; doing so will
make them feel scared when speaking.
- Teachers should integrate the activities of listening and
speaking English with a form of "have fun while learning."
- Teachers need to attract, engage students with suggestive
communication situations, offers some necessary vocabulary or
structures that students can use when speaking, encourage
students to speak English as much as possible.
- Use the appropriate teaching aids to the content of specific
lectures such as pictures, the footages showing the specific
communication situations about the topics they’ve just learned.
- After each lesson, teachers need to make the appropriate
situation exercises, featuring highly practical communication.
Stemming from a theoretical and practical basis, teaching
purposes as well as the successes and limitations while
implementing the theme, I would like to contribute a small part
to English teaching for communication purposes and achieve
better quality. I personally take the following recommendations:
* To the managers of Dong Son 1 School:
- Teachers can borrow laptops from the school library.
- Provide more radios, cassettes, tapes for teaching and
* To the upper managers:
- It is necessary for teachers to have more opportunities to
interact, learn through seminars.